January 19

Amber pages

Edgar Allan Poe born today in 1809 - click here to read my essay about him, "A Peep Behind The Scenes", in "Private Collection".


Paul Cézanne (that's his self-portrait on the left), born today in 1839


Janis Joplin born today in 1943


Simon Rattle born today in 1955


Ah yes, a personal history, the choices I make because these are the people I like, the events that are significant to me. But to make a choice is also to reject the alternatives - and this is why infinite variety is so much better (so much more useful) for humanity than the sameness of homogeneity, of globalism. Reduce everything to "The 100 Best-Loved" or "The Hall of Fame" or the "United States of Everywhere", and we all end up writing the same personal history. Give me a world with ten thousand languages, ten thousand city-states, ten million recipes and poems and sports...


No comments:

Post a Comment