September 10


Amber pages



Another day of "I didn't know that":


Robert Koldewey, a  German archaeologist of whom I had never heard until I found this entry in an almanac, but who turns out to be the principal excavator of Babylon, and therefore deeply interesting to me, born today in 
1855


and



Hilda Doolittle, who turns out to be the "HD" I have come across repeatedly in D.H. Lawrence's writings, an American poet, or poetess perhaps, though whether any good or not will have to wait for the lights to change; born today in 1886


Whereas Cyril Connolly, famous English critic, much quoted, alluded, referenced and instanced down the years, especially in A level English classrooms. But what, you might well ask, what is the point of criticism anyway? I shall eventually write a critique of that question - when the lights change; born today in 1903



Simon Bolivar named president of Peru, today in 1823 - see July 5 and the
Bolivia page of The World Hourglass, (and also June 24





You can find David Prashker at:


Copyright © 2018 David Prashker
All rights reserved
The Argaman Press

No comments:

Post a Comment